“I don’t want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don’t want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don’t want to do that.” – Lloyd Dobler, “Say Anything”
Despite Lloyd’s words of wisdom, I’m a marketing executive in the Silicon Hills of Austin, Texas. I sell products and ideas, buy up market share, process data into insight, and repair marketing and sales procedures when needed. I’m a McCombs MBA and I blog at www.russsomers.com. Follow me on Twitter as @rsomers.
Not to brag (OK, a little), but sometimes folks in the press care what I have to say. Some of those folks are MarketingProfs, Website Magazine, eMarketer, Forbes, Wired, Retail Touchpoints, Multichannel Merchant, and Practical eCommerce.
Like most marketers, I like to talk. Sometimes I do so in public at events including:
- ReelSummit, “Storytelling Formulas for Retail & E-Commerce,” July 2014
- Pubcon New Orleans, “Measuring Video Influence: Which Multimedia Metrics Matter?”, March 2014
- South by Southwest Interactive, Mentor Session, March 2014
- Silverpop’s Digital Marketing University NYC, “Drive Conversion and Engagement with Video in Email”, October 2013
- Which Test Won? The Live Event, “Optimizing Video for Conversion and Engagement”, May 2013
- MediaPost Video Insider Summit, April 2013
- Videocamp Texas, “What We’ve Learned (so far)”, April 2011
- South by Southwest Interactive, “Cage Match: Social vs Video”, March 2011
- Refresh Austin, “Free Ice Cream and Five Other Truly Evil Marketing Tricks”, January 2011
- VideoCamp Texas, “How Do They Do It? Volume, Volume, Volume”, August 2010
- McCombs at UT-Austin Brand Management class, “Online vs Offline Brand Management”, April 2013, October 2010 and October 2009
I’m VP of Marketing for PR analytics innovators TrendKite, helping brands and agencies measure the financial and brand impact of media coverage. I’ve also led Marketing for visual commerce leaders Invodo for 5 1/2 years, taking the company from the pre-revenue stage into a powerhouse serving over 100 of the Web’s – and the world’s – biggest brands, and for HTML5 platform sonarDesign. I advise startups including Edgecase.io and EyeQ. Prior marketing roles in Austin at Dell, Hoover’s Online / Dun & Bradstreet, SolarWinds, IBM / Tivoli, and Sabre Holdings taught me everything from data-driven analytics to demand generation to product marketing. Software, hardware, video and Internet marketing are all within my range – both B2B and B2C. The full resume is here on LinkedIn.
I also have a side business, Vintage Soul Guitars. I buy vintage, near-vintage, and offbeat guitars, restore them, and sell them online on Reverb.com. I have a family with a lovely wife, two beautiful kiddos, a couple of dogs, and assorted cats, tarantulas, iguanas, and other wildlife, all in the beautiful town of Pflugerville, Texas.
How to Contact Me:
email: russ dot somers in the location of gmail expected punctuation mark com